Answers to all your moving and storage questions
Have pressing questions about your upcoming move or storage options? See below for some general answers to commonly asked questions:
What precautions do you take to make sure you don’t damage my items or the building?
We take extra care in packing and wrapping your belongings so nothing gets damaged. Our commercial moving crew knows exactly how to maneuver large and bulky equipment through tight spaces. Of course, we take extra precautions by putting up cardboard and mattress pads along the walls so we don’t leave any scuffs or scratches in the building. If something does happen to your current or new building, we are insured so we will work with the building for reimbursement.
What time of day do you do commercial moves?
We generally perform commercial moves on the weekends or after office hours as we don’t want to disrupt your business. Let us know what you prefer and we’ll work around your schedule. In some cases, buildings might not allow weekend moves so make sure to check on the timing before locking in the move date.
Are you experienced in moving large office equipment?
Yes, we have been in the commercial moving industry for years and we’ve moved everything you can imagine. As a small business ourselves, we know how important every piece of equipment is so we take great pains in making sure everything is properly wrapped and moved. We will work closely with your IT and operations group to make sure we don’t miss anything. Common office equipment we’ve moved includes:
- Workstations, chairs, boardroom tables
- Storage shelving and cupboards
- Printers, scanners, servers racks, digital whiteboards, phones
- Kitchen supplies
- Stationery supplies
- Portable lighting
- Employee belongings organized in groups according to zones
What items do you pack for a commercial move?
We always pack the following for free:
- Smart and Flat-screen TVs
- Standard sized mirrors
- Other Electronics
What services do you offer?
We offer a wide variety of services including:
- Packing/unpacking - we can pack your entire house or certain rooms
- Storage solutions - short and long-term storage
- Moving supplies - boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.
- Plastic bin rentals - eco-friendly plastic bins delivered to your door
Do you move pianos and other bulky furniture?
Yes! Just let us know what you need to move so we can bring the appropriate-sized truck and specific crew members who have experience moving these items.
What Should I Do to Make My Move Easier?
While moving will never be ‘fun’ you can make it less stressful by planning. In general, you should start organizing your move a month before your moving day. That way you can spread out the duties over a longer period of time instead of rushing at the last minute. Plan out as much as possible and make sure to put it in your calendar so you don’t forget! A few things you should do include:
- Decluttering your belongings and selling, donating, or throwing out items you won’t be bringing with you
- Buying packing materials and properly packing all your items
- Reaching out to your doctors, vet, child’s school, etc. to get the appropriate paperwork for your new location
- Researching and hiring movers
- Getting appropriate paperwork and information from both your current and new building
- Putting together a going away party
Will Great Movers Ever Cancel a Move?
The absolute last thing we ever want to do is cancel a move as we know many of our customers have firm deadlines. The only times we will cancel are in the case of severe weather events such as hurricanes, tornadoes, severe flooding, and uncontained wildfires resulting in large road closures. We will always let you know if we need to cancel a move and we will work with you to reschedule at no cost.
When can I expect the movers to arrive?
We will let you know at least 48 hours before your move date when to expect the movers. We generally provide a 2-hour time frame to account for weather and traffic issues.
Will Great Movers get parking permits?
We do not take care of parking permits, but we are more than happy to help you get them.
Will I need to be present during the move?
Yes, you or someone on your behalf (provide their name and contact information to us before the move) needs to be there to meet the foreman and go over the details. They will also need to be there at the end of the move to look over the final bill and sign off on payment.
What is considered a local move?
Anything within the five boroughs as well as nearby areas in New Jersey and Connecticut. Give us a call for specific details.
Long Distance Moving
How can I track my items during transit?
We will keep you updated on the status of your move on a daily basis. We also have advanced tracking technology on our truck and you can use an app to see where the truck is at all times if we are not available to take your call.
How do I plan for a cross-country move?
Moving requires a lot of planning and doubly so for cross-country moves. Before you hire a moving company, make sure they are licensed by the US Department of Transportation and look up any positive and negative reviews on the company. Once you’ve found the right company makes sure to do the following:
- Create an inventory of everything you plan on moving and organize it into a spreadsheet. Send this over to the movers.
- Set aside essential items you will need immediately when you move so you aren’t waiting days for them to arrive. This includes things like toiletries, bedding, a week’s worth of clothes, important documents, etc.
- Label all your boxes not just with the room but with the items that are in each box
- Double-check the sturdiness of the boxes and make sure fragile items have appropriate packaging to prevent breakage.
What long-distance moving options do you offer?
We provide two options:
- Consolidated - If you’re on a budget and have time to spare, this is a great option. You will share the truck with a few other clients and we will deliver your items within a 6-10 day delivery window.
- Exclusive Express - If you need more control over the pickup and delivery date of your items, this is a great option. Not only do you get to choose the exact dates, you do not share the truck with other people
Do you provide long-distance moving services?
Yes! We can move you to any of the 50 states. Just let us know all the information and we’ll help guide you through the process.
What happens if I don’t plan on moving into my new house immediately after the move?
We offer short and long-term storage solutions at our secure facilities. Just let us know how long you need us to hold onto your items and we’ll store your items. When you are ready, give us a call and we’ll load up your stuff on a truck and deliver it to your new home.
What comes with my move?
When you work with Great Movers you not only receive premier moving services you also get:
- 2 free wardrobe box rentals
- 1 free mattress cover
- Free tape, dollies/hand trucks, blankets
- Free basic disassembly/assembly of basic furniture
- Free dismounting of TV and AC
- Free packing of delicate items such as TVs, mirrors, picture frames, glass tables, etc. We will add a material charge for any boxes we use
- Wrapping your furniture in protective blankets and unwrapping at your destination
Are there items you won’t move?
While we generally will move anything there are a few things we do not allow. That includes:
- Perishable food
- Highly pressurized oxygen (scuba gear)
- Extremely flammable items such as nail polish and nail polish remover
- Other hazardous materials such as fertilizer, paints, aerosols, pesticides, propane tanks, acids, and more
Do the movers arrange furniture in my new place?
Yes, we offer a one-time setup at your new home so just let us know where you want us to put everything and we’ll follow your instructions.
What if I need to cancel or reschedule my move?
Call our customer service line at least 3 days before your move date. If you cancel, we’ll refund your deposit. Anything canceled or rescheduled less than 3 days before the move will incur a 100% penalty as per the estimate.
Should I tip the movers?
Tips are not included in the estimate of final quote. It is not mandatory tip but tipping movers is highly encouraged.
When will you charge me for the move?
Balance amount has to be paid on move day.
How much do I need to pay for the deposit?
Once you have finalized your moving plans, you will need to put down a $100 deposit to lock in your date. If we do not receive the payment within 2 business days, we will release the hold on your dates.
Protection & Insurance
Where can I check your credibility?
You can look us up on the US Department of Transportation site by using our DOT number 2180117. You can also look us up on the Better Business Bureau website.
How do you protect fragile items?
Our expert movers know how to load trucks to protect even the most fragile of items. We’ll always load your fragile items last and make sure they’re not crushed by other boxes. All you need to do is mark the boxes as fragile and we’ll take it from there.
How do you protect my furniture?
We carefully wrap your furniture in moving blankets. We’ll also include plastic wraps if it’s raining or snowing.
What happens if you receive a parking ticket?
Our foreman will inform us and we will pay the fine. None of this will show up in your final bill. Of course, if you receive a parking ticket, we aren’t held liable for payment.